I think this is the most nerve-wracking post I have ever written. But here goes nothing…
MY HIP DOESN’T HURT!
Like at all. Like it hasn’t hurt in three weeks. Like I think my bursitis is a thing of the past.
I’m afraid that if I say it too loud or tell too many people it’ll start hurting after my next run.
I’m definitely on the other side of this injury. Now, of course, comes the most challenging part. Keeping the course and not falling back on old habits that caused the injury in the first place.
So here’s my greater trochanter bursitis survival guide in a nutshell:
- Cortisone shot – They help, but they don’t last. Temporary fix.
- Physical Therapy – It works, but you have to do it. Sometimes it’ll make it hurt more, before it makes it feel better.
- Get refit for shoes. – This was the turning point for me. Once I got into the right shoe (or better show, however you want to look at it), I feel like all the PT I was doing was able to do it’s job that much more.
- Crosstrain – Switching to a triathlete training plan helped because I never ran two days in a row. And biking really works the glutes, which is where my weakness was.
- Stretch/Foam Roll/Yoga – Stretch everything, not just what hurts.
- Don’t give up! – Just keep trying different things. Bursitis is not a career ending injury. It’s not even really an injury. It’s just an imbalance. It’s a weakness somewhere in your body causing inflammation to flare up somewhere else.
My paces are coming down. My endurance is getting better. I guess it’s time to start training for a half marathon again. I have a 9 mile run on Sunday. Here goes nothing…