Life is crazy. Sometimes it’s fun. Sometimes it’s hard. Sometimes you just want to sit and cry. Sometimes you want to jump up and down with happiness. You have good days and bad days…good weeks and bad weeks. Last week was one of the best weeks, but the week before that found me deep in a pit of despair. It’s funny how life works out like that.

So the last time I wrote I was getting ready to start job number 2. My first day was great. A bit chaotic, learning all of the new routines. But lunch and recess duty isn’t new to me, so I wasn’t completely overwhelmed. I went into the weekend, ready to relax and face my first week juggling two jobs on top of being a wife, mom, and runner.

My body had other ideas. Sunday night into Monday I battled what appeared to be a 24 hour tummy bug. Who calls in sick their second day of work? Oh right…me. I woke up Tuesday with a happier tummy, but I noticed my throat was scratchy. I chalked it up to allergies. Wednesday morning, however, I woke up with knives in my throat, a nasty fever, and body aches that rivaled last year’s flu outbreak. I headed straight to my doctor’s walk-in hours and waited in line at 7:30am. Welcome to “Strep Throat City”….population me. I’ve NEVER had strep before…EVER. I can say it was probably in the top 3 sickest moments of my life. The antibiotic couldn’t kick in fast enough. I called in sick to both jobs again on Wednesday and again on Thursday. I’m doing good my first week as a lunchroom para. By Friday, I was feeling mostly normal again. I took the entire week off of running. The last time I did that was the week after my last half marathon when I hurt my foot. I don’t like not running. I wallowed in self pity. I was a mess. And I was worried about the week to come.

Last Sunday night, I wrote a facebook status that the theme of the coming week was “back in the saddle.” And it was!


See that 28…that was last week’s running. I didn’t realize until Monday morning that it was my highest week EVER. It’s amazing what a little positive thinking can do. I even felt like I eased myself into the week. I did 5 miles on Monday, 4 + 2(with John) on Tuesday, took Wednesday and Thursday off to catch up on the house, ran 3 on Friday, and did 13 on Saturday. Boom…28 miles! It adds up quick!

Saturday I ran the half marathon course preview with GoRun’s Start 2 Finish group. The course is very different than the spring course. I would call it an out and back loop. It’s a FAST course, the first half is slightly uphill and the second half is almost all downhill. It should be good for Noel and I wanting to get a big PR!

Well, I better get off the computer and on to my day! I had to redo my blog theme because a couple of things were messing up after the last round of updates. Let me know if you find anything amiss!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s