I woke up yesterday morning, emptied the dishwasher and folded a load of laundry. I always try to do those two things before I go workout. A run is my reward for getting the housework done. It works for me!
After I got the house straightened up, I got my bike gear ready and aired up my bike’s tires. After two days of hard runs, I was in the mood for a little ride, just me and my bike. But then it started sprinkling. I checked the radar, and the rain was rolling in. Bummer. Insert BIG sad face emoticon.
I was already dressed to workout, so I headed next door to my grandma’s house to use the family elliptical in her basement. I picked an interval workout and chose low resistance. I kept my cadence high to mimic the cycling motion. I was dripping with sweat when I was done, so it must have been an effective workout. The machine told me I burned 650+ calories…WIN!
Since I’ve focused on triathlons this summer, I’ve been doing lots of crosstraining…mostly biking and swimming. And guess what, my running has gotten stronger. I’ve gotten faster without running any more miles.
When I was training for my first half marathon, I focused solely on running. Big mistake. I had more aches and pains in my legs, hips, and feet. This time around very little hurts. I’m even able to do back to back speedwork with no issues other than general tiredness. Nothing an extra cup of coffee can’t fix!
I know it’s fun to be a RUNNER, but crosstraining is amazing. And there’s lots of choices…
1. Biking – Indoor or outdoor…or a mix of both! Biking outside makes me feel like a kid again!
2. Swimming – Low impact and your shoulders will look GREAT!
3. Elliptical – Low impact…lots of sweat and calories…gets the arms involved!
4. Weights – I’m not good at this, but I need to be.
5. Yoga – So restorative.
6. Exercise DVDs – Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is still tough for me!
7. Walking – Yep, this counts too. Especially if a cute little doggie is pulling you along.
Which one is your favorite? How often do you crosstrain?